Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2015 13:05:11 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Exactly.  I have had labs drawn on women with igt - and found they also have low baseline and peak prolactin levels.  Maybe there's an issue with feedback - or could it be that low prolactin levels for whatever reason cause insufficient stimulation of breast growth during pregnancy and early lactation.  IN this area, the OB physicians are reluctant to prescribe domperidone because of the FDA info - but are perfectly willing to prescribe reglan despite the black box warning - go figure. 

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anne Eglash

Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:23 PM

Subject: support for known IGT

Some people have asked what I use for women with known IGT to boost milk supply right after birth. I use goats rue, usually the Motherlove brand ( I trust their dosing). Clinically, it seems to me that goats rue increases glandular tissue volume. I have moms start this right after birth and stay on it for many months. I also have them add fenugreek. I do use other herbs, but I have moms add those on week by week, in order to see what is working and what is not.

I don't know why, but I often find that women with IGT have a pretty good response to domperidone. So, if I have used it for mom with her last baby and it was effective, I start that right away postpartum as well.

Anne

Anne Eglash MD, IBCLC, FABM

Clinical Professor, Dept of Family Medicine University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Medical Director of UW Health Lactation Services

Co- Medical Director, Mothers Milk Bank of the Western Great Lakes President of The Milk Mob,  A Gang of Breastfeeding and Human Lactation Educators www.themilkmob.org Breastfeeding is Nature’s Health Plan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2