From:
Emily Lindsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:07:23 -0400
While I agree that there needs to be a consensus in the overall lactation
practice there are a few key points to keep in mind.
1) CLC, there are those in the field who choose not to take the IBCLC for
good reasons. They have been in practice for a long time, keep up on
changes and new research and have a solid foundation in lactation. Also
there are those who just cannot afford to take the test because they are no
sponsored. These individuals should not be passed on as not credible as one
of my mentors is a PNP, CLC and taught me more than any IBCLC I ever worked
ith or knew. Too many IBCLC's are book junkies and pass the test but truly
have no practical knowledge when it comes to actually practicing lactation.

2) Peer counselors are a core to any lactation, whether WIC or not. I have
been in those shoes and seen how it can help. I was lucky to do this in an
area very compelled to help mothers and gained more knowledge than many get
in education by also helping in the clinics they had.

3) Lesser credential. Currently there are still many reputable CLE
programs, I consider this a stepping stone to an IBCLC for those who want
to pursue it such as myself. Creating another credentiral creates more
confusion for mothers and professionals. I advertise as a CLE and although
I do consultations in the area we just moved to, I would not call myself an
LC until I finished other coursework that I am pursuing as well.

4) Licensing is a must, however I have heard of the push for only RN's to
be able to do this regardless of the background. I am not an RN but got my
BS in Psychology and took an emphasis in medicine and family counseling.
Let me emphasize that this schooling has prepared me so well for what I do
today it shocks me. I comprehend research better than some professionals
who do not understand the terminology, and I have been trained to
listen....a skill many I have worked with no longer care to use or never
had.

Sorry for the length, we all need to work together and help each other
attain a new level for lactation. Then and only then will we grow as a
standard (and maybe get insurance reimbursement besides medi-caid!) and
have a consistency in practice.

Emily Lindsey, BSPsy, CLE
Private Practice Merced, CA