From:
Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2016 06:30:32 -0500
Hi Mandy

I talk a lot to working moms. And other moms struggling with production.
Reasons can be:
not pumping as often as baby would have been feeding at home
pumping may not be as effective at draining breast
lack of sufficient time to fully drain, not able to use hands on at work
baby sleeping longer, losing night feeds
using pacifier as baby gets older
hormonal birth control
possibly dieting? possibly not eating and drinking well - could have an
effect in the "background" of all of this
possibly less contact with the baby in general
stress

What I recommend is increase frequency of feeds/pumps if possible - many
mothers do not want to do this
do a between 1200-0600 feed or pump
hands on pumping, I prefer singly pumping paying attention to thorough
drainage of each breast possibly 10 min per side as opposed to 20 min
double, or at least do this at one of the work pumpings or if at home, do
single pumping at times
rent a Symphony - my favorite pump of all the hospital grade pumps
(compared to Ameda Elite or Platinum, Medela Lactina, and Spectra which the
company insists is a hospital grade) - fyi based on thousands of mothers
anecdotal reports of differences in volumes)
Herbs - I point out to client this is not the first thing I mentioned, as
herbs can have a slight boost but are not "magic bullets".
I ask if other meds could be working against her: birth control,
decongestants, mints
Could she be pregnant?

Hope this helps
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC RLC