From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2015 06:16:06 +0000
Tricia

What a case!  I really feel your frantic-ness coming through, and I
think you're quite right on all points.

I totally agree with you about a prohibition on nipple shields until
Lactogenesis II has occurred - much much more productive as you say,
to manually express colostrum for the first 2-3 days and feed on a
spoon for a non-latching baby.

With regard to the low-gain baby, you describe many absolutely
classic signs - both in the baby's nursing behaviour and in the
mother's response.  You're quite right to be very concerned about
this baby, and about the negative father... I think you responded
very well.  I'm going to send you by private mail a copy of my
low-gain handout which describes how sleepy happy-to-starve babies
behave (exactly as you describe).  My experience is that a baby who
is starting to get more becomes ravenous and wants more and more -
and should have it - when catching up on low gain.  The appetite will
only begin to slow down when s/he has regained to normal weight for
birthweight and age AND I find that babies cannot breastfeed
effectively until that time too - I don't know why this is and maybe
someone else has a physiological explanation - maybe lack of fat-pads
in the cheeks or something - but even if the mother's milk supply is
perfectly fine now, then the baby will fall down on weight gain
unless he/she receives top-ups in another way until ALL the weight is
packed on.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England

---