From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:00:43 -0400
Dear all:

While I'm pondering the implications of all the changes at the international level since I left in 1999,
I've been thinking about the fact that the post of Legal Advisor at UNICEF has been extended for 12
months.  While I think anyone can see that extending the position of legal advisor for a mere 12
months will not be sufficient, it definitely is a step in the right direction.  Particularly, since it has
come to light that the decision was made before Ann Veneman came to UNICEF.

So, since the "stick" approach (plus a little diplomatic carrot) has already been used, it seems to me
that the carrot approach is warranted now.  Sometimes it is much easier to write letters when one is
in the righteous indignation mode and much harder to do so when things go the way we want. I think
about moms postpartum experiences.  They never write back to the hospital if things go well - they
may tell me and I often forget to give that feedback to the hospital.  BUT if anything goes wrong then
the hospital hears about it.

So, I would urge as many of you who have the energy to do so write to Ann Veneman THANKING her
for the decision of extending the position so she knows that people notice and appreciate the
positive actions that she takes towards breastfeeding.  Might make her feel more amenable to
lobbying for more  changes in favor of breastfeeding.

Best regards, Susan Burger