From:
EMASPONS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:16:15 +0200
Hello everyone.
Phyllis asked about other articles (specifically one on poor apetite in
babies) she has seen linked through from the AEP (Spanish Assoc of
Pediatricians) website.  I haven't looked at these articles in
particular, but I will say that there are tons of POOR articles either
on the website or linked through it.  I don't know if I'd use precious
time translating an article that wasn't deemed "worth it" beforehand by
a trusty source.  There are just so many horrible ones.

I will say that here in Spain there is a HUGE emphasis placed on seeing
babies eat!  So much so that one of my favorite books written by a
Spanish pediatrician deals with this subject.  The author is Carlos
Gonzalez, I know that he used to participate here on Lactnet.  This
book comforts mothers whose babies nurse a lot, but are not jumping
into solids.  It also deals very specifically with cultural
perspectives on the topic of starting solids.  This book would have
been such a life saver for me when my children were not showing
interest in solids and my Spanish in-laws were frantic.

I chalk up the need to SEE babies eat LOTS to the influence of
grandparents that lived through a civil war and extreme poverty.  They
feel good seeing babies (and children, and adults!!) eat, and LOTS.

When I came here 20 years ago I noticed that there were NO overweight
people.  I was in Spain from 1984 -1987.  Through the years I have been
shocked to see more and more overweight children!  And lots of them.
(I have to say that they are far behind in weight problems compared to
the U.S.  Just the other day, a very heavy friend of mine that was
visiting asked me "So, where are all the fat people?  I feel like I'm
the only one!")

Anyway, to get this back on topic, I sincerely believe that
breastfeeding and a super healthy diet with little junk food kept
Spaniards very healthy in the past.  Many grandparents here nursed
children for years and/or were bf themselves for years.

Now more women work outside the home and children are cared for by
others and are bottlefed.  Preganancy leave is still 4 months and I
think the bf initiation rates are higher here than the U.S., and I
would be surprised if the 3 month point is not also higher.  Very few
make it beyond 4 months.
(Kika or Lavinia may know.)

Well, I originally intended to give a warning about the Spanish website
and I got caught up in some of my favorite musings.

Take care,
Gina in Madrid