From:
Beverley Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:43:06 +1000
Is there a possibility of Thrush (candida Albicans) for this woman
especially as she has been on antibiotics for Strep B.  Does the mother
have any redness of the breast and sharp shooting pains?  Does the baby
have any silverfish like excoriation its buttocks?

If it is thrush then both she and the baby should be treated with
antifungal medication.  Ideally gentian violet (aqueous) to mothers nipples
and babies mouth and anal area  could be applied twice a day.  However
whoever it was that banned it from use (prem babies were supposed to have
been affected) (I suspect those who have a vested interested in selling
other more profitable potions) has stopped this very effective topical
application.

The colonisation of Strep B is usually carried  by the baby around the
upper lip and nares.  If presumably the baby had antibiotic cover at birth
then Strep B should not be the problem.

I wonder at the "pumping" or expressing ( as I prefer to call it) of milk
and feeding to the baby by bottle.  Surely the breastmilk (with its
curative and antiinfective properties) good latching and breastfeeding
positioning would be better.  However if expressing milk must be done why
not give it by cup or spoon to avoid nipple confusion?

www.rie.net.au/~bevw/

I visited Deaselake, Stewart and Vancouver BC l995.

Thanks to all of those wonderful replies about amylase and starch.  I would
like to know if the polysaccharides in milk are similar to starch??