From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:00:35 +0900
Andrea Tran wrote:
>Wondering if anyone has worked with a baby that was diagnosed with
>failure to gain due to a malabsorption problem? I saw a 3 week old
>today who appears to be transferring an adequate amount of milk for
>weight gain, and according to mom eats 10-12 times per day and
>stools 4-5 times but is still below birth weight and is staying at
>the same weight.

This can happen if there are food allergy/intolerance problems, where
the gut doesn't absorb the nutrients properly, presumably due to
inflammation. The milk almost seems to 'go in one end and out the
other'.

I had oversupply with my first baby and he was not quite back to
birth weight by 3 weeks. He had *lots* of output, lactose overload,
just not weight gain. He was also *very* unsettled and having lots of
feeds per day. I found out much later that he had food intolerance,
which was what had caused his horrendous colic. He is the reason I
have a passionate interest in this topic today!

I later had contact with a mum with a baby who had been hospitalised
for FTT. The hospital staff had immediately comped the baby with
formula, assuming it was simply underfed, and made the baby *worse*.
Baby had a cows' milk allergy.

Joy
--
Joy Anderson B.Sc.(Zoology) Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. B.Sc.(Nutrition) IBCLC
Australian Breastfeeding Association counsellor