From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:21:44 +0100
> Mom was told that she would not be able to breastfeed
>her because positioning and handeling of the baby could break more bones.
> They have her lying in crib on pillow and sheep skin and only minimally
>elevate the head for bottle feed.

Right away, I pictured Neil Campbell's (Royal Children's Hospital,
Australia) slides from his ILCA '93 talk, "breastmilk feeding of the
seriously ill baby", in which babies in rigid frames were nursed by mothers
who gathered frame and all in their arms.  Or mothers leaned over babies in
cribs.  And so on.

His abstract ends "so, although there are many serious illnesses in babies
which create major difficulties for breast feeding, success depends as much
on the skills and attitudes of caregivers as on the nature of the illness."

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA