From:
"Morley, Alisa M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 13:41:47 +0000
Greetings everyone. I am new to the group and wanted to ask a bit of advice on behalf of a client I am working with.  I have a mom who is 8 weeks pregnant and breastfeeding her 11 month old.  She noticed an initial drop in her milk production when her cycle returned 12 weeks ago. Her milk supply has continued to decrease over the past 8 weeks. She wants breast milk be the primary source of calories well into his 1st year.  Supply was an issue for Mom when baby first arrived and she saw a lot of improvement after starting a supplement called Mothers Love. Are there any supplements that are safe to take during pregnancy? Any ideas on how to increase BM production (if that's possible during pregnancy), or at least prevent her supply from decreasing further for the next 2-3 months.  She continues to try and feed on demand.  She recently started giving baby more regular food as he was acting very hungry after almost every nursing session.  He has also started waking up more frequently at night to nurse.  Mom is currently nursing 2x at night (around 12:30am and 4:30 am).

A few have recommended 1.) continuing to nurse on demand, 2) reading the book Adventures in Tandem nursing and 3)nursing more once baby number 2 arrives. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Alisa Morley, MS, RD
Pediatric Dietitian