From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 03:32:55 +0200
Western society seems to need numbers and rules to accomplish most tasks.  I
like to tell moms that the more rules that are applied to breastfeeding, the
more likely that problems may be encountered  because babies are
individuals, and anyway they don't read the rules.  We have babies with
stone-age needs, born in the cyber-age.  We talk about feeding on one side
until baby "falls off", then offering the second side if baby wants more.
This is offered as a general guideline until she gets to know her baby
better.  If the mother feels a need to offer both breasts because she is
feeling too full, then by all means this is what she needs to do.  But more
importantly, I feel we need to encourage mothers to learn from their babies
and trust that they will soon learn to "dance" effortlessly together.  My
2ml worth!

Jean Ridler  RN RM  IBCLC  Cape Town