From:
Patti Carroll-Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:58:19 -0800
Amongst all this discussion on being an LC, I would like to ask for some
input.

I have long thought about becoming an LC and have put it off for purely
financial reasons. My background is a B.S. in agriculture, several years
working as a CNA in L&D, 3 years nursing child #1 partly during twin
pregnancy, still nursing 2-yr twins during this pregnancy.

I have long thought about doing BSC's distance education and never could
decide between their breastfeeding counselor and LC program. The latter is
about $1000 more. Once I was told that it was expensive to maintain IBCLC
certification.

I have been rethinking pursuing one of those programs purely for reasons of
wanting to help breastfeeding moms, possibly with my midwife's free-standing
birth center, and not for financial support reasons. Which pursuit would be
most beneficial? I am more inclined to go for breastfeeding counselor ,
partly for the cost of the education. And I do not feel inclined to become a
LLL leader right now as we already have three of those and though, it would
be a good experience, is not what I am looking for.

Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patti, aspiring LC in Oregon.