From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:01:15 +0000
several things going on here:
hearing problems may indicate neuro problems. not sure if baby has a hearing
loss or just fluid that needs to clear, but i don't get that part. perhaps
mom misunderstood what audiologist was trying to say.
intake 1.5 oz might be good for a little guy or on day 3, but you must take
into account whether or not the total daily intake is sufficient. Again, we
have only the snapshot picture of one pre/post weight. some feeds may be
better, and others not. In other words, if baby needs about 20 oz of milk
per day, and is feeding 8x at 1.5oz that is 12 oz per day which is not
nearly enough. If baby got 1.5 oz 12x that would be 18 oz which still is not
enough. the baby *will continue to lose weight.*
nothing to indicate a sucking problem, seems the insufficient milk is main
concern. i am not surprised she is doing better with that on 3rd baby, I do
believe breast growth in each preg. and lactation, and the early initiation
of bf helped alot. still, mother may not have all the milk baby needs and
she'll need cont. help with that. supps may be necessary and mother can
choose the alt. fdg method. mother's supply could increase still and she
seems to be on the right track with expressing, galactagogues, and breast
compression. MER seems to correlate with volume.

BTW, what was the wt gain? she's a girl baby and if followed closely perhaps
4 oz per week would be ok.
the question for me is this: is it better to gain 3oz/week on breastmilk/bf
alone OR is it better to gain 7oz/wk with supps. ??? I do not know the
answer to this question and I don't know if any of us do. We can have our
opinions but it is always a judgement call.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Mississippi/s.e. USA