Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:38:20 +1000
> This is in a nutshell what I've learned so far. Just wondering how many
> cases of GERD that do not respond to meds, cessation of breastfeeding
> (sadly) or other formula changes may be for this reason. Anyone out there
> familiar with this and know a bit more about it?

I have two children diagnosed with GERD, not responding well to treatment,
both with extensive food intolerances.  Neither has been diagnosed with EE
although one has shown above normal eosinophils in blood work, the level of
eosinophil in her oesophagus were considered within the range for reflux
rather than EE.

I know lots of mums with babies &/or kids with GERD, EE or both.  I am also
aware that there seem to be a growing number of children with limited or no
response to reflux meds, whose symptoms are closely aligned with EE but who
have been declared clear of EE.  EE can be alone or in conjunction with EG
(Eosinophilic Gastritis) or EC.

From my understanding, few doctors would be willing to consider the
continuation of breastfeeding in babies, instead recommending a change to
elemental formula.  I do know of one doctor in Australia who was willing to
considering putting mum on elemental formula with the toddler to receive
breastmilk and elemental formula.

Some years ago I had contact with one mum with a baby unable to tolerate
elemental formula but could tolerate breastmilk if mum drank only elemental
formula.

I've got lots of info I'd be more than happy to share.

Suzie Heaton
Australia