From:
"Patricia J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:09:09 -0700
Michelle, In my neck of the woods, we call this "New Age Breastfeeding," and
I think you are absolutely right about the source.  The moms quote your
article word for word.  I keep wanting to say, "babies aren't convenient,
but only need this dedicated time for a very short time in theirs and moms
lifespan, and also, I think it's great that mom is the only person who can
feed the baby--what a unique and wonderful power!'

They have already made up their minds before I see them postpartum in
hospital, so I just try to delay the onset of bottles.  I wonder why they
are so afraid to be NEEDED?  I perceive a distancing rather than attachment
in new moms, and they do not understand the relationship part of BF,
although I try to explain.  You have to experience it to get it, but they
have set themselves up to not even have the chance.  I love breastpumps for
the right reasons, but the flip side is that everyone wants to feed EBM and
call it close enough.  There is sometimes a kind of abhorrence about this
continually needy little person, and concentration on "Mom" as the patient,
rather than a person who has just gone through a normal, healthy process we
call childbirth.

Thanks for the topic.
Sincerely,
Patricia Ellis RN, MA, IBCLC and former LLLI leader