Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 15:53:32 EDT
Kathy quoted this from another article about breastfeeding preventing breast
cancer.

> "Amanda Williamson, for one, isn't swayed by the study.
>
> 'I'm not breast-feeding,' she said yesterday, standing in front of a
> vending
> stand near the Mall. 'I just don't think it's right,' said the 20-year-old
> student from San Antonio. '. . . I don't want no baby attached to me.'"

Why ask a 20 year old student who is still living in the invincible period of
her life and presumably has no children if this research will sway her?  Sure
it makes good copy, but personally, I'm not surprised at her response.  We
have to remember that teenagers are invincible -- at least they think they
are.  Nothing will happen to them; drive w/o a seat belt?  Who needs it?
Drive over the speed limit?  Who'll catch them?  Get cancer?  Not them!  Have
unprotected sex?  No matter -- won't get pregnant, STDs, or HIV -- these kids
are invincible.  It's the "magical thinking" of the twos & threes in a large
body.  So of course a childless 20 year old who is wondering about her next
date and her grades on the exam and if she lost her money in the vending
machine is probably going to say exactly what she said.  Of course, wouldn't
we love it if she had said, "No, the study won't make any difference to me
because I would breastfeed even if it didn't reduce the risk of cancer."  But
that wouldn't have been nearly as much fun for the general population to
read.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com