From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:53:02 -0500
When I hear of reaccuring mastitis, I try to assess for two things. One
is over supply. And yes, I see a lot of moms using electrical pumps all
day long with breastfeeding because they have so much milk. I only
suggest a manual pump for over supply and just to take a little off
before nursing and on the other breast not used for that feeding. But
not the massive pumping that some mothers due. If they purchase those
$300 pumps, they want their money worth!

Second, MRSA infections. Especially if mom is pumping out stringy or
mucousy looking milk. Or there are clumps in her milk. Check out the
photos in the BF Atlas. Also, there is a form of breast cancer than can
masquerade as mastitis or lumps that never go away. I suspect if she had
an abcess, this was real mastitis. The BAB has some good ideas, like
wearing a bigger bra, cup and back size. I personally had to do this
myself with my third baby, and I once knew a gal that could not wear a
bra much or she would get mastitis and she tried many styles. And
lecithin.The amount is in this book.

Somewhere I read that if mastitis is just one breast it is likely to be
one type of infection and if on two breasts, likely to be another type
(strep a or b??? or staff). I know this is in our common lactation
textbooks or maybe the BF Atlas. Check your copies.

I see and hear a lot about MRSA infections here in Houston and would
want her doctor to take this seriously. We also see a lot of c-section
infections from the hospital stay and recurrent mastitis.

Good luck to her. Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC