From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:24:58 -0400
The Nestle and Ross Labs folks must be high-fiving all the way to the bank.
:-(

Oh goodness -- where to begin?
- They managed to do an episode on BFing without showing a single mother nursing a baby.
- The doctors were shown sitting around trashing "that Baby-Friendly nonsense" as "forcing mothers to breastfeed." (Huh?) Only one doctor spoke in its defense.
- They repeatedly told us about moms who don't have enough milk, thus reinforcing the myth that this is a widespread condition, when in reality it is often BF mismanagement.
- They trashed lactation consultants, who presumably exist only to tell mothers of starving babies not to supplement.
- The neighbor baby was shown being lovingly bottle-fed.
- When Diane's baby fussed in the store (we also learned that BF babies are fussy, even at 6mo), she whipped out the bottle. When it didn't help, she gave up. Um, excuse me? Like most moms, I would have been leaking through my shirt!

Our local news folks attempted to balance it, but wrapped up by citing a study showing that "up to five percent of women don't make enough milk." Which brings me to my point: I noticed this in the Sac Bee article, and it explained to me precisely why this episode was made and why it was so one-sided:

"Dawn Prestwich, co-executive producer of the CBS drama, said low-milk
syndrome is a real problem. She cited a recent article in Parenting magazine
reporting that 5 percent of all mothers are affected. Prestwich was one of
those mothers herself.

"The reality is there for women who don't make enough milk," she said. "I
have talked to numerous women who were the same. It's a great source of
frustration. We're very pro-breast-feeding. But we know you can be so pro
breast-feeding and so determined to be the very best mother, that with the
exhaustion and hormones that come with giving birth, you might not see your
child is not getting enough."

::Deep sigh.::
Janice Berry
Columbus, OH