From:
Susan Majoris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:02:03 -0500
When I read the post re: the mom who suffered a pulmonary embolus and later death, that gripping feeling came over me.  It is a feeling that comes over all of us, when an outcome is tragic.  We are constantly reminded that life is so very fragile and through our experiences we are impressed to move on with new approaches from what will become lifelong memories. We cannot help but be changed by what we experience.  I believe that's ok.  Reflection, prayer, walking, deep breathing, tears,talking to the families of those we cared for and  friends (LACTNET) can get us through.
The grief process is necessary and we support each other in that process when there is a difficult outcome.  It is normal to question and wonder what went wrong and even to find someone/thing to hang the blame on.  With some resolve we begin to start moving on.
Being able to communicate our feelings and have them validated is so very important when we are grieving.
My prayer is that we all reach out and touch our colleagues who are grieving and allow them to do so and support them with love, understanding, validation and our presence. We may find that this unexpectedly surfaces in us an unresolved situation that we never allowed ourselves to grieve over and move through. As with so many life events,  once we have experienced loss - our lives are changed forever.   Much Love to Chrystale - I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you will have the stregnth and courage to work through the feelings that you have, approach the family and eventually find peace.       Sue Majoris - IRMC