From:
priscilla tansley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:05:25 -0500
I had a terrible experience yesterday that I need to share with some
sympathetic ears.  I was given the privilege of teaching a small group of
med-surg nurses who wish to cross train to OB, about breastfeeding.  I asked
around at the beginning about their previous experience with breastfeeding
and one of the young nurses told us that her experience was one of failure,
four months prior when she had her first baby.  She was unable to get him to
take the breast and the only lactation consultant available at that hospital
was unfortunately away on vacation.  She left the hospital pumping and
bottle feeding ebm for a month before she stopped.

I began the talk mostly showing how to latch a baby and talking about
feeding cues etc.  At some point I resorted to our class outline that we use
in our breastfeeding class for expectant moms.  While I gave the list of
advantages of breastfeeding, she became visibly upset and then promptly
left.  I felt and still do feel awful.  I could have been more sensitive and
played down some of the more touchy-feely advantages...I think it was those
that really blew her away.  I got her phone number and called and left an
apology on her answering machine.

It's probably a good thing that we work different shifts on different
floors.  (She has worked there for three years and looked unfamiliar to me).
Don't think she'll choose to cross train now.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what to do with this now.  It certainly was a
lesson on thinking before speaking.  I sure wish that I could go back and do
it all (right) over again.  It feels awful to have hurt someone so much.

Priscilla Tansley RN, IBCLC