From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:24:35 -0500
Hi, 'netters:  I've looked through the archives and there's a fair amount
about adoptive nursing, but I have a new question.  Got a call from a
mother of a 5-y/o biological child (whom she nursed with abundant milk
supply for 22 months), who is now in the process of adopting a 5-week-old
baby from another country.  She's been pumping for 5 weeks, q3-4 hrs with
a Medela Lactina.  By 2 weeks, she was getting colostrum, but 3 weeks ago
the milk supply totally dried up.  She had not had her menses, got a
pregnancy test (negative), is drinking More Milk, thinks she's getting her
period now and hopes that supply will pick back up after menses.  The
problem is there is some delay in the arrival of the baby, and she doesn't
know how soon he will be here.  Her thyroid levels are normal.
I suggested she have the pump checked, and we discussed fenugreek, reglan,
domperidone (if we can obtain it from Canada?).  My questions to those of
you experienced with adoptive nursing: Will her supply increase once
the baby comes (assuming he can be "trained" to nurse effectively with SNS
after 5+ weeks of bottles)?  Does her previous successful nursing help in
this situation? Could this be inhibited MER (mother pumped successfully
with her first child on return to work)?  Any suggestions while she waits
for the baby to arrive?  TIA, Alicia Dermer, MD, IBCLC.