Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:40:38 EDT
<< As for the aggression,  I don't believe that breastfeeding is related to
 his *pushy* tendency.  ALL toddlers push and pull and punch and bite and
 kick and scream . . .

Yep, people see so few nursing toddlers that they get stuck on the Nursing
part instead of the Toddler part. If he wasn't nursing they would have to
find something else to "blame" it on, or maybe accept it as normal and deal
with it. On the flip side, my daughter was nursing in preschool and that was
supposedly the cause of her NOT being assertive enough, and crying
hysterically when I attempted to leave her once. She was almost 3 at the
time, and of course should have been able to separate, except for my "giving
in to" her. After two months of sitting in the room with her, I took her out
of the program, saying I was very happy with their efforts, but it was clear
she was simply not  ready. Despite dire predictions, she returned to the same
school the next year, and adjusted quite well with only two  "sad" partings,
no hysteria, and having fun after Dad or Mom left. She had a great year, and
during parent-teacher conference I said I was happy about her progress, and
thanked them for being so understanding of her need to wait a little. ( I did
get money I had payed held for the next year's tuition) They weren't really
all that supportive but I thought if I said it that way, it would help
another mom'/toddler in the future. I also said I would be happy to talk to
any mom who found their child's timetable a little different, and wanted some
support and reassurance. And finally I wrote a nice note inside a copy of Leo
The Late Bloomer, and donated it to their library... :)
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY