From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2008 22:03:08 +0200
The one book I find I keep having to order as a gift for more and more
people, is Anne Lamott's 'Operating Instructions - a journal of my son's
first year'.
It's not primarily a breastfeeding book but it is the best book I've ever
come across about the postpartum *experience*.  Breastfeeding figures
positively in it.  I love it because I love Anne Lamott's honest pithy
style.  Mothers I've given it to love it because it turns out all those
things we experience are not signs of impending mental breakdown, they are
just part of the package.  Not sure if it's a good idea to recommend it to
pregnant women, but if you know someone for whom the transition to
motherhood is not all a dance on rose-petal strewn garden paths with sweet
music and chirping birds and a baby who eats, smiles and sleeps three out of
every four hours, this book could save her sanity, if not her life.

Rachel Myr, thinking of asking Anne Lamott for kickbacks soon, from
Kristiansand, Norway