From:
Cindy Garrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2018 08:32:31 -0400
Hi All,

I had a few comments on the topics of the last post.

1) Breastfeeding and obesity - I would never suggest limiting feedings if a baby is on the high end of the growth charts.  It certainly isn't done with formula fed children; it is usually celebrated.  I greatly appreciate the references on how the use of a bottle for feeding EBM can result in overfeeding.  As with formula, the urge is to "finish" the bottle and I can imagine an extra urgency when the product in the bottle is EBM - no one wants to waste it!

2) Growth spurts - I don't know if I can find the article after 40+ years but in my first career as a educator a received a magazine called Instructor that had an article about brain growth spurts and the timing coincided very closely to what we have recognized as infant feeding spurts.  As each new skill, task, or physical growth is approached and mastered, the brain goes through rapid growth to develop the neurons, receptors, synapses and such.  It makes sense that this would require more energy, thus more calories.  The wise baby would then show more hunger cues and feed more frequently to provide that.  This increases the volume of milk available to support this growth.  As foods other than breastmilk are introduced, the feedings at the breast slow down and the volume of table foods taken in will increase in spurts to accommodate the ever growing child.  Think of the child who very vocally lets the parent know that more food is needed while in the high chair, pounding on the tray.  Or the teen who can clean his plate twice in a meal and be back for more in an hour or two.  (This I recall vividly.  There was a point where my older brothers could consume a quart of milk and a handful of Mom's cookies as they strolled through the kitchen after school and, with my own three sons, when I would fix 3 chickens for a meal because they would be back for the "second dinner" before they went to bed!)

3) I don't know about the study you mention.  I do strongly feel that a) when properly used and b) the baby is fully into the breast with feeding, a baby can grow appropriately.  The goal is to eventually wean off the shield, but some long-term premies may take many months to hit their stride well enough to go solo without the shield, yet they can still gain appropriately.

Cindy Garrison BS IBCLC

practicing in Pittsburgh, PA