From:
"Sandi Miller, RN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:35:53 EDT
I have really enjoyed just listening in on all these conversations but
haven't weighed in until now.  I feel compelled to put my two cents in on
this RN IBCLC Vs any other background.  I have been a nurse long enough (23
years) to remember another huge debate on the accreditation of nurses.  It
was referred to as the 1985 proposal and the idea was to make it mandatory
for all nurses to have at least a Bachelors degree to be real nurses.
Associate nurses would be "technical nurses" and four year nurses would be
the true registered nurses.  Well, not only did that not come about but since
we have abolished hospital nursing programs we now have a permanent shortage
of nurses.  We lost site of what was important and got behind in the race.

    One of the things that I have loved about being a nurse is how it is a
profession that fosters creativity among its participants.  How many jobs can
you have that you can completely change courses and still be in your field?
There are so many different things you can do with nursing-some you don't
make too much money at but do for love and flexibility (such as Drs.'
offices) and other things you can max out and make a good living (traveling
nurses have made an art form of this.)  You can work for company or form your
own.

    When I started my quest to become a Lactation Consultant (and I will know
in October!!), I saw this as another avenue to be creative and have
flexibility in my career.  Just like patients do not really care if the RN
has a two year or a four year degree, I have found that most families don't
care if I have an RN or just IBCLC after my name.  What people really want is
some continuity of advice from everyone and access to lots of support groups
so they can successfully breast feed. We have nurses where I work without the
alphabet soup after their names and the patients adore them because they give
them the most workable advice.

    My 10 year old summed it up when she was reading the mail with me and she
said: "What is  with all the letters with you adults?"  All of you mature
(not older) Lactation helpers have been pioneers and have gotten recognition
in a relatively new field in a short period of time and I love all the work
you have done to pave my way, regardless of your background or alphabets.
There is no one right way to do this and that, to me is what makes it so
exciting.  As long as in the end we help couples become better parents and
really enjoy this life long project they have taken on, then to me we are
successful and making the planet a better place.

I will now go back to my quiet zone and read all your interesting thoughts.

Sandi Miller, RN
San Jose, California