Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:24:24 EST
Jack Newman MD. Wrote :
<<<The point is that very few drugs get into the milk in such quantities that
we need to worry for the baby.  When the baby is premature, of course, there
is often more concern, but still, most drugs get into the milk in tiny
amounts, too tiny even for the premature baby to worry about.>>>>

This is an excellent point! I am a mother who has had to fight long and hard
to breast feed my third child due to the chronic pain I suffer from. I wake
up every morning and feel like a mac truck ran me over. I have to take pain
medications on a daily basis. HAVE TO, or no life....
I fought to be able to give my baby the best I could. For five months now I
have been fighting the nasty nurse at my (neuro's) DR's office,  him telling
me that I can give it up for my own sake, and of course OUI VEY the hospital
staff when I gave birth. Now I am wroking with my PERI, helping her to help
those who want a chnace at this.

Thank goodness for DR HALE, and that lovely woman who has been helping him.
He encouraged me to keep going even though I am on higher doses DAILY of
opioid medications. My baby has ALWAYS thrived, is NOT SLEEPY, is not
seemingly over stimulated. He has gained, he is exclusively BF and he is a
good little man. I find myself CONSTANTLY trying to explain myself to medical
professionals who are not well read on lactation. There are a FEW medications
that are listed and EVERYONE (well those of us who are educated on this) KNOW
which ones can cause problems in the newborn/infant.

Why is it that there is NOT one BIG book that ALL of us can arm ourselves
with and hospitals can be armed with??? I Know DR. Hales book is awesome, but
more support is needed here. With so many woman maintained on medications for
various problems, most of them think ""NO WAY" could I BF my child. I
constantly urge mommies to BF, I try as hard as I can to get them as much
written materials on the meds  they are taking and BF'ing. The problem is
that THERE IS NOT MUCH OUT THERE.

I just wanted to say what Dr. Newman is saying is correct, most meds do not
cause a problem. Most people who are fairly educated and meds/bf'ing KNOW the
meds that can cause serious problems and there is a short list of about maybe
10.

~Kim
Mommy of 3
Advocate for those mom's suffering in chronic pain and want the opportunity
to BF.