From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:05:28 -0400

<<
 Does anyone has experience with rebirthing (position baby on belly, let
 him crawl to the breast and let him attach himself) in babies who have a
 bad sucking technique, eg with nipple confusion?
 -- >>
Annalies,
I use these self-attachment techniques often with mothers and babies.  In the
first day or two when infant is very sleepy, undressing and placing between
mother's breasts often helps infant wake up more often and start searching
for the breast.

Babies who either don't seem to know how to draw the breast into their mouths
or don't draw the nipple far enough back, seem to do well with this
technique.  There seems to be something about having baby on his tummy that
helps him stick his tongue out farther and draw the nipple farther back.

I like to use this method because it isn't invasive to mother/baby and it
isn't aggressive.  I also like it because it works so often and so quickly.

Jeanne Fisher
Austin, TX