Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:31:37 EST
I just received an advertisement from a baby store in our area to let us know
that they are now carrying alternative feeding devices such as the SNS,
fingerfeeders, etc. I am growing increasingly concerned regarding marketing
practices from the pump companies, especially Medela. These items do not
belong in the baby stores where parents see these things and "believe" they
need these things to breastfeed. Most moms do not need pumps, but it seems
every mom has to have one these days. More and more we seem to be getting
away from the baby and mom. I see the pump companies becoming like the
formula and drug companies with their selling tactics, freebies, "free" CEU
offerings. While they may be promoting breastfeeding, it seems to me they are
promoting themselves and their products, not really breastfeeding. Am I alone
in thinking this way?

Lisa Enger RN IBCLC
Boston, MA