From:
Carlos Gomes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:34:49 -0300
My daughter was eager to show me the chapter they are working on in her
"World Issues" class (grade 12). In the chapter on "World Hunger", guess

what the first suggestion is in the section: "Possible Solutions to
Problems of Hunger in the Developing World"? (I like the attitude, which

says, in part "Hunger is a complex and sometimes baffling issue. It is
unfair to assume that nothing can be done about it, however, or that
those people who are caught in the midst of it are incapable of doing
much to escape it." -- Good attitude, which will go far in inspiring our

amazing young people whose heart yearns for social justice and peace.)
The section starts: "Breast-feeding [sic] has become a key health issue
in the developing world, and one which is essential to the elimination
or reduction of hunger. Simple and cost effective..." and, as my dd
says, just gets better: a chart (like the others in other chapters) set
out in advantages and disadvantages, but the disadvantages of
breastfeeding are really wimpy, and among the advantages of bottle
feeding (no hyphen) is "Baby can be kept alive if mother is seriously
ill or dies" which I don't really have a problem with (although wet- or
family-nursing isn't mentioned). There is even mention of Nestlé: 'Under

the impact of aggressive, western-style radio and television
advertising...' and 'Although Nestlé`s has agreed to discontinue...
there is still widespread concern.'
The questions for discussion are wonderful.
There is hope. Not only is my dd actually studying this in a World
Issues class, but the text-book was written in 1989... not so long after

she was born, actually. Think of what might be in the next century's
text books (or put it there). :-)
Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, mother of another graduating student (how did this
happen? I'm still breastfeeding!)