From:
MARY BLACK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:07:23 +1000
 Dear Lactnetters
I realise that this topic has now gone "off" however I wanted to share with you some more gems from a discussion I have just had with Peter Hartman from Uni of Western Australia

"Another article -
Kulski, J.K.; Hartmann, P.E. and Gutteridge, D.H.
        Composition of breast fluid of a man with galactorrhea and
hyperprolactinaemia.  Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism  52:
581-582  (1981).

Most of these problems relate to endocrine problems excess prolactin etc.
Maybe the food of the Japenese  in US during WW2 would be of interest -
high oestrogenic foods can cause breast development.  Even HRT affects the
breast.

 As I recall, the male mouse does not have mammary glands - there is a
surge of testosterone before birth in the male fetus that causes complete
regression of the mammary glands.

Roger Short has evidence of male goats that are fertile and produced large
amounts of milk.  I think one billy died with mastitis"

Shame about the goat. I also wish that all surges of testosterone were so useful..

Regards (note my new lactnet email signature.. no title..)

Mary E Black
MB BCh BAO FAFPHM MFPHM MRCP(UK) MPH DTM&H DObst DCH
University of Queensland, Cairns, Australia