From:
Diana Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:37:26 -0700
Coming out of lurk mode to share a website I ran across today:
http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu.
The site is a resource for information on dairy science and technology.
It has all the answers to questions I've had for a long time, like
exactly HOW milk is processed for use in formula, etc. (My inquiring
mind just had to know.)

Don't know if "ropy" milk in cows is the same thing as "stringy" milk in
humans, but included in descriptions milk defects was this:

        Although more of a tactile defect, ropy milk is also caused by
bacteria, specifically those which      produce exopolysacchrides.

Also discussed were factors that caused flavor defects like soapy,
bitter, foul, etc. I'll bet some of the same factors apply to humans,
except perhaps "barny flavors."  ;-)

(Sorry to have missed the LLLI Conference this year!)

Diana Dietz, RN
Atlanta, GA
Diana Designs
http://pw2.netcom.com/~ddesign1/diana.htm