From:
Ruth Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:46:59 +1000
I am seeing a mother antenatally and have permission to post.

She is a multi, first child is now 16 months.  She is due to birth in
late May.  She was unsuccessful in attaching her first baby to the
breast stating that she had flat nipples.  I saw her today.  Breasts
are a normal to slightly large size, with development through this
pregnancy.  Areola is largish and the nipple is very small and
flat.  She said that even when expressing (which she did for 6 months
before slowly weaning) they did not protrude or extend much.

She did state that she had used nipple shields, but may have never
correctly attached them.  She also said that there was a constant
pinching feeling while attempting to breastfeed with or without the shields.

We discussed skin to skin following the birth and baby led
attachment.  I have to admit that I am concerned that she may have
similar issues, although I did not say this to her.  Any further
suggestions or thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Ruth Berkowitz

   ,-._|\    Ruth Berkowitz, IBCLC; BFHI Assessor & Educator; Grad.
Dip.
  /  Oz  \       Counselling; ABA breastfeeding counsellor; B.Sci.(Ed, USA);
  \_,--.x/   M.L.S.(Monash). KEW EAST VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
               ~