From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:14:43 -0600
I am getting ready to take on the definition of hypoglycemia at our
hospital. Currently the cut off is 45, and some of the literature I've
read indicates this is high for a cut off . I'd like to know what other
hospitals have as their cut off (meaning - baby needs to be fed), how
the blood sugar is measured, and what the action is. I know ABM is
working on a new hypoglycemia protocol, but I want to get all the info
I can. We have had a number of cases where formula was given when the
blood sugar was above 45, but only by a bit and the nurse called it
"borderline".
I also have done some preliminary research and came upon several
references that talk about mmol/L when defining hypoglycemia. Does
anyone know how this converts to mg?
Any other info that anyone is willing to share regarding this would be
greatly appreciated.

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Erie/Boulder, Colorado