From:
Jeanette McCulloch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:25:03 -0400
Amazing LACTNET women:

Background: PTP a dear friend has a preemie, now 12 days old, born at 30 wk
gestation following PPROM at 17 weeks. Baby has severe pulmonary
hypoplasia. She weighs 3 lbs 3 oz.

She just started receiving breastmilk via OG tube. Plan is to start
fortifying in a week to give her extra boost to build healthy lung tissue.

A few questions:

Which fortifier? The hospital uses similac liquid fortifier. I encouraged
her to ask about Prolacta. They have acknowledged it would be a safer
option, but said it would be an insurance battle. Agreed that prolacta is a
better choice? If yes, do you have access to any research to suggest this
is a safer option? Mom has been told she'll need research to convince the
insurance company.

Using her milk? I recall a program where mom's milk was used instead, by
(correct me around what I've got wrong here) testing the fat levels and
adjusting appropriately. Is there some way she can tap into that option
without the hospital doing it? Could her milk somehow be tested and
adjusted off-site and shipped back?

What am I missing? Other thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Jeanette

Jeanette McCulloch, IBCLC, LLL leader

Ithaca, NY