From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 07:00:08 -0700
My previous post about pumps was in regard to discussing particular
pumps on Lactnet not in private discussions to mothers or other LC's.  I
believe that Lactnet is a public forum.  I think any business would feel
very threatened by being publicly bashed.  I usually discount praises of
a product from someone who is selling or profiting from the sale of the
particular product they are praising.  Certainly hearing praises of a
pump from a mother is worthwhile information and worth passing on.  But
I have had mothers who were breastfeeding without problems using pumps I
thought were next to worthless.  And why did I think they were
worthless?  Where are we getting our information on pumps?

I question any HCP's who recommends a particular product, as do many
consumers.  Why does he recommend this to me--because the drug rep was
just visiting?  Many of us ask for the generic because we can't afford
the recommendation.  We, LC's are quick to question the ABM rep at the
doctors office or at the hospital.  But, I think we need to take a
closer look at our relationships with pump companies.

That particular mom I discussed was not told by a friend how good the
pump was but by a HCP.  VAlerie W. McClain, IBCLC