From:
Esther Grunis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:11:03 +0300
I think the whole issue of foremilk hind milk has been so mismanaged and
misunderstood.

 In the beginning we were so happy to have evidence to tell those HCP's who
were telling moms to bf ten minutes on each side.  Now we had evidence to
let the baby finish the first breast, and then move to the second, as a
dessert.  How this turned into offer one breast each feed, I don't
understand, but here in Israel, this is now how many HCPs teach it.  The
baby whisperer is also at fault.

Moms are hysterical to know if the baby got to the fat milk.

What I began seeing is that moms who were offering one breast only each feed
were having a different problem.  Their babies were gaining well the first 2
months ( from all that fat milk) but by about that time, their milk supply
was dwindling.  The problem was that the second breast would stay very full
for up to 8 hours.  If they offer the left breast in the morning, and the
baby gets full of fat milk, then he may not go to breast until 3 or 4 hours.
He then gets a very full right breast, and drinks enough to last another 4
hours.  That means that more than 8 hours might pass until the baby gets
back on the left breast, which by now is engorged, full of FIL, which is
already starting a very gradual down regulating of milk supply.  Thus,
depleted milk supply at about 8 weeks, give or take.  Here in Israel, tracy
hogg is the culprit, as well as some nurses.  I spend a lot of energy
convincing moms to offer the second breast, just as dessert, to keep the
milk moving in both breasts.

I also try to get across the message that if they feed often, there is
little difference between the fore milk and hind milk.

Esther Grunis, IBCLC, who is so tired of explaining the same thing over and
over and over.

Tel Aviv, Israel