From:
Mike Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:29:25 -0600
Dear Jenni,
I am not sure it is any one thing that we are doing wrong.  Just like each
mother/baby dyad is different and yet the same  --so are we.  We do however
have one thing in common, our zealous to help moms and babies to breastfeed.
When we have given it our "all" and they still quit, it can be very easy to
take it personal.
Some hints from me:
>Every mom that calls is starting from the beginning unless it is a specific
call about medications, separation, etc.
>She might call about fussy baby?:  We start with positioning, latch-on, and
time management.  Most of the mothers are not positioning correctly and they
are watching the clock like hawks (low milk supply or foremilk/hindmilk
imbalance?).  If I go to a new doctor for my thyroid, I want him to have my
whole history --not just the last few days.  Learned this from an old
pediatrician, now departed from us.  If I took my daughter in to see him for
an illness, he would always say, "Now momma tell me everything, her whole
history from the moment of her birth."
Sincerely,
Marguerite Kelly, IBCLC