From:
gonneke van veldhuizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2009 00:09:53 -0700
I really like discussions like this, because they tend to go to the bottom line of things.
I do not have access to this journal, so I can't read the study. But I suppose the study was descriptive in nature, thus weighing and measuring lots of babies and put the data into graphs and tables. That gives a fairly stable notion of a status quo, just as all growing charts used in the western world in the last 100 years or so. WHO data is measured on children who were fed ecologically, or ''as nature intended'' or as far as we know or suppose nature intended it. That could be seen as an intervention study, feeding method being the intervention, all other growth studies being the controls. These data differ immensely from what the ''status quo'' studies show. They show that loosing weight in the ranges we are teached to see as normal of physiological in fact need not be so. These data confirm my lifelong conviction that it is kind of odd to accept weightloss in the ratios we do in any healthy newborn mammal.
That being said, I do acknowledge that lots of babies are born with a not-natural high birthweights due to excessive fluids. To cover that I can accept the weight at 24 hours as reference rather than the actual birthweight.
Bottomline is that it is not the weight itself that is the cullprit but the fact that newborns need food and that insufficient weightgain is or can be a sign of not getting enough food. Lack of food in the early days will lead to low sugars and other unwanted, intervention inducing things. The other thing is that breasts need stimulation in the early pospartum days and insufficient weightgain may be a sign of insufficient breat stimulus.
Weightgain or the lack thereof is a sign of healhty development or the lack thereof, together with other signs like output, skin tonus and colorations, muscle tone and temperature.

If in so may children weight gain is insufficient that is not a sign that slow weight gain is somehow physiologic (it may be ''normal'' in the sense that it is seen a lot), but that something is going really wrong in the care for moms and babies in the early postpartum

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC, MOM in southern Netherlands