From:
Adele Delgado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:36:20 -0800
Wish as much money was
spent on trying to understand human lactation!>>>>>>>>

Ahhh, but there would have to be a profit in there somewhere for the
incentive.  At least in our culture.

Interesting trip Lisa.  As a ranchers wife who has milked cows I always
did notice that no matter how much dry alfalfa and grain I fed, the cows
always gave more when I could let them out into fresh green pastures.

And for the one who had all those hiefers with calving problems,  getting
a calf to latch to bottle can be hard.  We haven't had one in a long time
but would straddle them, butt behind us, head in front while holding the
bottle and stroke the throat to stimulate sucking.  DH would sometimes
have to compress calfs mouth on the bottle but they got the idea .

I had temporary care of a Toggenburg goat recently, 2 days pp and
severely engorged, babies couldn't latch.  Mastitis.  Had plugs and
strings coming out making milking a real challenge.  I was thinking about
cabbage leaves but couldn't think how to hold them on.  Was glad when the
lady picked her back up after two days but I did get rid of the
engorgement milking 3x times a day till my hands fell off!  (Actually all
I got was a little milk and carpal tunnel!)

I really do work with humans most of the time but I have a long list of
animal encounters and am amazed at how my people knowledge really helps
out.

Adele Delgado