From:
Paula Ray Hiett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:25:13 -0500
Molly,

I work at a Lactation Center in Longview, Texas. We have a consent
form/release to give any type of articfical teat or nipple to a
breastfeeding infant.  This includes formula bottles and pacifiers.  The
consent practice is encouraged by the "Baby Friendly Texas Ten-step"
Program.  The form outlines briefly for the parent(s) that artificial
nipples and feeds can sabotoge their breastfeeding in the early weeks. It
explains that if there is a medical need to supplement the newborn, that
the staff would be glad to demonstrate syringe, cup or finger feeds to the
family.  It also informs the parents that they should speak with a
Lactation Consultant about feeding concerns before supplementing or
offering pacifiers.  It tells mom that this is her decision, and that this
information is provided to allow her to make informed choices about
feeding her baby. She is asked to sign before bottles/nipples are
provided. Our hospital has made the decision that we do not supply
pacifiers to any of our regular nsy infants.  As breastfeeding / infant
advocates, we should never do less that provide the mother with all the
information she needs to make healthcare choices. The liability may come
if your hospital says there will be consent, and the staff feeds infant
formula without the consent on the chart.  This requires staff "buy-in",
which must be packaged in a very positive way to "sell" the idea.
Best of Luck,
Paula Hiett RNC, IBCLC
Longview, Texas