From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 17:54:16 EST
In a message dated 1/3/03 10:27:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> My nurse manager has recently been informed by her manager that we can no
> longer give out ANY information on the phone (this applies to LD, PP, and
> she assumes BF as well), due to the advice of an expert nurse who was
> brought in to advise us on legal issues.  We are now supposed to tell them
> that we can't give out information over the phone; to come to the ER if
> they have questions concerning their condition.

HI Margaret,
Where is this expert nurse from and what is her foundation for this
statement?  If hospitals and clinics could no longer give out information via
the telephone or email and all these patients would be required to come to
the doctors offices or Emergency rooms, health care costs would sore beyond
comprehension!
Legally, I agree that calls should be documented and the advise should be
within the scope of your practice.  Are there instances of when parents or
any patient has been given incorrect information?  Yes, but most times they
are receiving correct and valuable information.  So you don't completely stop
a practice that is helpful because of an occasional problem, instead you find
a way to correct these problems.
I think your managers need to investigate this person and what are others
doing in the area and even well beyond your area.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA