Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:20:34 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Regarding this issue of "forcing" moms to exclusively breastfeed, Winnie said,

<<?  I am always careful to phrase recommendations (to the mom) with "If at all possible...." "We strongly recommend................because................."  If that is "forcing", then I'm sorry, but my professional ethics require me to give parents information so they can make their choices based
on facts, not preconceived notions or misinformation!>>
I have, on occasion, been asked by parents after I go through the standard spiel of breastfeeding management info, "Can we..." followed by things like: give a bottle just at night so mom can get some sleep, give a bottle just in public, etc. etc.  That cracks me up!  Like I will or won't give them
*permission* to do xyz!   My response usually is ,"Well, you can do whatever you want.  You're the parents!  But, this is how we know it works best..." followed by an in-depth explanation!
Marsha, who doesn't make it my business to tell parents what to do, just offer recommendations as Winnie said.

Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2