From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:37:35 -0400
I know this is a little off-topic, but my husband, a clinical psychologist
dealt with a 30-month old who had an omphalocele and a mild language
delay.  The child had developed a phobia towards men from the trauma of the
surgeries.  The mother was extremely concerned about leaving the child
alone with anyone, particularly men. So, she or her niece attended all the
therapy sessions.  The language delays presented a real challenge to
assisting this child, so my husband worked with the child through drawing
pictures.  The child was able to externalize his fears through drawing
pictures of scary men and talk about his fears sufficiently (even with a
limited vocabulary)to resolve his phobia in a few months.  Ironically, the
mother found out that the niece she had trusted to attend the sessions to
ensure nothing bad happened to her son was actually hitting her son.

I cannot think of any connection with nursing in this particular case,
except that it might provide additional comfort for an infant that will
regrettably have to undergo trauma because of the surgeries.

Susan Burger, PhD, MHS