From:
"Paula M. R. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:18:17 -0400
At 05:09 PM 6/23/03 -0500, you wrote:
>This is the fourth call that I have gotten  regarding a mother having to
>have her gallbladder removed.  With all of the mothers their babies were
>between 2-4 months old and all of these mothers had a very difficult
>time getting their milk supply back.   <snip>
>My question is:  do you think there is somehow a correlation not so much
>with the surgery but having the gallbladder removed that would cause the
>milk supply to decrease?  I just think this is more than coincidence.
>I've never read anything to suggest this but I am certainly wondering.
>
>Theresa Weigel, IBCLC

Theresa,

This is anecdotal (mine), but take it for what it is worth.  When my third
child was 4mo, I had my gall bladder removed.  As this is my area and am
determined to exclusively bf as long as possible, I spoke to my surgeon
about it as soon as he suggested surgery.  I breastfed just before they put
me under.  As soon as I awoke (about 3 hours after last bf), I pumped and
dumped.  Two hours later, I bf.  My surgeon worked very hard with me to
make sure that I was taking meds that would interfere with bf the least.  I
also made my DH and mother cup-feed my son expressed milk although he
needed little.  I did not experience any drop in supply, but you need to
take into account all the work done to make sure nothing interfered.  It
does show that my gall bladder being gone did not itself cause any problems
for me.  HTH.

Paula Hart
Mama to 4 (currently bf 12mo)
Charleston