From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:07:50 -0400
Liz,
  I agree with you that these are some serious issues we need to
discuss.
I was hoping that lactnet would be one forum for such conversation.
As someone who has been working in this field for many years and is now
trying to start a milk bank in our area, these are issues I think
about a lot.

What constitutes fully informed consent in a situation involving
donating
milk for a for profit milk bank or for research? Do protocols exist
regarding
informed consent and possible uses of milk for things other than
direct feeding
to another baby?

How do we establish guidelines about appropriate research and
appropriate
uses of human milk and human milk components for anyone other than the
baby of the mother giving the milk?

Are there other models that can can help us? For example, are there
enough
parallels with donor blood to make their model useful in our case?

The more I learn about this, the larger is the area between what we know
is appropriate and what we know is not appropriate use of mothers' milk.

Our collective experience and wisdom will help to move this conversation
forward. Thoughts?

Naomi Bar-Yam

> Date:    Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:00:34 -0400
> From:    Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: selling human milk .... seeking donor milk for reasearch
>
> It is a  bit ironic that, in the same Lactnet digest, there are two
> separate
> researcher; another
> describing a commerical milk bank that receives donor milk and
> turns around
> and sells it for profit after re-engineering.
>
> This is new territory for us as IBCLCs.  I am very nervous about
> the way
> science and technology are racing ahead of our ability to build
> ethical
> (moral ... religious ... name your flavor) constructs to evaluate
> whether we
> want to be a party to this stuff.
>
> It would behoove us all to check the details where we can.  If an
> IBCLC
> recommends that a mother should (or shouldn't) offer her precious
> breastmilk
> to anyone other than her own baby, it implies a *professional*
> endorsement
> of the enterprise.  Now -- the enterprise may well be admirable:  i.e.
> offering breastmilk for the cancer patient, or wet-nursing the baby
> of a
> mother who is sick, injured --or worse.
>
> But that brings us back to the original premise:  know the details
> before
> you are giving the thumbs up or thumbs down on a suggestion of
> human milk
> donation.  Generally speaking, the more hands (or strata) that are
> involved
> in the enterprise, the more difficult it is to find out just who
> really is
> going to benefit from the use/study/sale/commericalization of the
> breastmilk.
>
> Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC
> Wyndmoor, PA, USA

Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.