From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:50:18 -1000
With non health professionals in social-type settings I really like the
good old counselling technique of 'Some mothers have found...'
But I flavour it a bit... ie 'Oh I have a friend who had that problem too.
Her baby was just got soooo sick on formula and she was sooo worried - and
it was pretty sick on breastmilk too. When she did stop all dairy products
it was amazing the change in the baby - because you know cows milk can get
into breastmilk.  This friend of yours should give it a go - she's got
nothing to lose'.
Using your credentials can help too - but I find keeping it to case study
level works better than quoting research. ie 'I'm a lactation consultant
and I've seen 4 mothers with that very same problem just in the last
month...'
There may be the odd white lie in there - you just have to apply your own
moral/ethical standards to how far you take it ;-)  I do think you need to
use the 'first person' experience though ie. 'I know' not 'I've read
about/an LC friend told me'

As for my work colleagues.  I think the best way to educate them is to
pretend your only motivation is to educate the mothers.  Try a large poster
in the patients lounge, or on the wall of a corridor that a lot of mothers
(and all staff) pass by. Have a series of them on different topics. ie.
Avoid Engorgement, then have just a bullet list of points and address it
specifically to the mothers. Somewhere where staff sit and may be inclined
to read just leave a research article on the topic and tell them you're
sure they know it all anyway but just in case a mother asks a tricky
question because of the poster...
That way you're not directly threatening or critising them and if they are
seen reading the article, it's only because a mother may ask something
tricky - not because they don't already know it all :-)

The other thing with work colleagues is to be everybodies friend. Choose
the ones who sabotage breastfeeding the most and become friendly with them
(only at work... you don't have to take it too far!!).  Talk about family,
holidays, whatever.  Eventually they will think you're a good bloke
(Australianism, usually male conotations but means - you're all right) and
they will eventually come to you when they have a breastfeeding problem,
hopefully before they give the bottle).  Keep it light hearted and kid them
about their bottle preference, etc.  And be prepared for all the 'kidding'
you'll get - you know 'she's the boob lady' etc - just laugh, or joke back.

I feel 'burn-out' can come pretty quickly when you feel you're hitting your
head against a brick wall.  We all know how very important breastfeeding
and breastmilk is. Working constantly with people who have opposing views
is very difficult.
Remember to look after yourself and be gentle with yourself.
And I have read the previous posts of ways to handle it and there are some
excellent tips there - I think you may have pushed a few buttons with your
request.

Good luck
Denise