From:
leibovich Haim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:23:37 +0200
>cardiologist feels that because the baby's weight is "off the chart", he
>wants to perform open heart surgery if the baby doesn't go back on the
>chart within the next four months. Baby's birthweight was 7.12 lbs.; at 8
>months the baby weighed 14.3 lbs and now at 12 months she  weighs 16.17
>lbs.
>Pearl Shifer, IBCLC Breastfeeding Coordinator, WIC Program, NYC

I think there must be a mistake in understanding what the cardiologist said
- it doesn't make sense that the only reason for surgery would be slow
weight gain, if the baby is healthy, shows no signs of recurrent pulmonary
infections, no signs of heart failure, no enlargement of the heart in
echocardiography and so on. I have several patients with VSD who still have
it at the age of 10 yrs, and 70 yrs (!), and they just have a yearly followup.
Besides the weight gain isn't *so* terrible. Three of my children, who
thank god don't have VSD, and who were bf, had very similar wheights - born
~ 3.5 kg, at one year 7.5 - 8 kg. Today, at the ages 4,6,10 yrs they are
just thinner than some of their friends - good for them!
I think this mom should check again with her docs why they think surgery is
needed, and if nessesary get a second opinion. I wouldn't try to "fatten"
the baby just to please the docs, but maybe there is a misunderstanding of
the baby's condition.

A happy Chanuka and Christmas and New Year to you all.

Mira Leibovich, MD
Kibbutz Hama'apil, Israel