From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 19:32:35 -0700
Do the
>nutritionists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, et
>cetera,  need to have an RN to be able to practice in the
>hospital?

Excellent point!  When I was first hired as a Lactation Consultant, my wage
was set lower than all of the above, although my FIRST degree is in
dietetics and I have a professional degree (master's) in nutrition, as well
as CLE and IBCLC.  When I asked about this, I was told it was because I
wasn't an RN.  So I checked out what the RDs (mostly BA) and therapists
(mostly MS) make, and after 1 1/2 years I was increased to a beginning RD
pay, which is below therapist and RN but an improvement.  The compromise
allows me to continue doing the work my heart yearns to do, in a place
where I enjoy working and can do the most good.

I think we do need to continue to make the point that we are professionals
on our own career track, not "make-do" or "RN-wannabe's."  We have a
knowledge base essential to the health of the mother/infant which is
unmatched by other disciplines.

Arly in Northern Utah                [log in to unmask]
MS, CLE, IBCLC