From:
asimmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 07:30:19 -0800
Regarding feelings of anxiety/depression with let-down: Yes, I've heard
of this, although I'm sorry I can't produce any specific references.  I
also have heard of women who experience similar brief feelings of
despondancy or anxiety following orgasm.

To pick up an older topic...Regarding baby licking/sucking amniotic
fluid off the hands following birth: I've never heard or read anything
about this, but the following occurs to me: We know that the fetus
spends the last weeks of gestation learing to coordinate suckling and
that they swallow amniotic fluid throughout. There's the latest research
on the varying tastes of amniotic fluid and the proposal that it perhaps
prepares the fetus for the tastes of his mother's usual diet.  I've
heard, somewhere, that amniotic fluid is rather sweet. Now, if a baby
were so fortunate as to be left alone enough to suckle on his hands
after birth, could this not be a) a way to indicate desire to feed (as
we have all seen), but also b) a stimulus to *induce* further suckling
and readiness to feed??  Baby tastes the familiar substance, which
stimulates the desire for more and begins the cycle of rooting/suckling
To carry this a bit further, could having been denied this
experience/reflex (if it is indeed a valid hypothesis)be one of many
interrelated reasons (given the circumstances under which most babies
enter the world these days!)for delayed desire to feed after birth in
some infants??

Andrea Simmons
LLLL St.Louis MO