From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:43:29 -0500
I just wanted to add to the discussion about this that I believe there may
be a genetic factor involved. My grandmother (who was a small, slender
woman) breastfed her children and also pumped milk which she sold to the
hospital for feeding to premature babies. Her period returned at six weeks.
Her daughter, my mother, breastfed her four children and also had her period
return early. When I had my first child, I thought that perhaps they had
simply not nursed often enough. But no, my period returned at 6 weeks and
continued to come back about every 40 to 45 days. With my next three
children, I was also tandem-nursing the previous child. Even with two at the
breast, day and night, my periods returned at around 6 weeks each time. My
sister, who also breastfed four children, had similar experiences. While I
am overweight now, I was not at that time. My mother and sister have always
been slender.

I did notice that while I was menstruating fairly regularly, I did not
ovulate (according the sympto-thermal charts I was doing) until much later -
9 months after the first baby, about 15 months with the later children.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario